Saturday, October 24, 2009

Boo at the Zoo

Last night we went to the Boo at the Zoo in D.C. We all had fun and Katie got to fill up her trick-or-treat bag with yummy goodness. We didn't realize until it was too late that adults could have grabbed a bag too. It didn't really matter though. We just ended up raiding Katie's bag when she went to sleep.

We were there from 5:30pm to 8:30pm. They had over 40 trick-or-treat stations. The best ones gave away snickers, ice cream, and lollipops that light up. Others gave away dubious things like "wellness bars" and educational materials. The event was well-run and easily handled the 6,000+ people that attended.

Katie decided to go as a bunny. I think she wanted to save the bee costume for the big game against UVA today. When we first arrived, Katie didn't want to put her costume on which was odd because she likes to wear costumes all the time. After we walked around a bit and she saw all the kids in costumes, she decided she wanted to wear it after all. She had a great time and even ran into one of her friends from her playgroup, Jack.

It was pretty interesting being at the zoo at night. Sometimes I felt very vulnerable in the dark surrounded by wild animals... especially when I couldn't find the animal in the exhibit. We saw lions, tigers, apes, orangutans, pandas sleeping, an octopus eating, and some goats and cows. We got to experience what it's like to be eaten by a tiger. We walked into its mouth, down its throat, into its stomach, through the intestines, and out the tail.

I was amazed at Nancy's endurance. Katie wanted to be carried by her mama most of the time so Nancy walked up and down that huge zoo hill carrying big girl Katie. I don't know how she did it. We were all worn out when we got home around 9pm. Katie went to bed and I went out to play hockey.

Pictures are below. More are here.

Boo at the Zoo
Katie and Nancy eating ice cream at the turtle pond. Right before I took the photo, Katie put her arm around Nancy and pulled her closer. It was very cute. This pond is one of Katie's favorite places at the zoo. It has lots of turtles and fish. While we were sitting there, three turtles dove in to the pond and swam around a bit. It was the most I think I've ever seen turtles move.

Boo at the Zoo
Katie posing with her light-up-lollipop and a bag of microwave popcorn. Of all the treats in her bag, we're not sure why the unpopped popcorn bag was one of her favorites. It must be the Thomason in her.

Boo at the Zoo
It looks like the spider just gave birth to Spider Man.

Boo at the Zoo
Katie ran into her friend Jack. It looks like they're about to shake hands. "How do you do, Jack?" "Fine, Katie. Thank you for asking."

Boo at the Zoo
Katie posing with her lit-up-lollipop in front of a sleeping panda.

DSC03029
The goats cracked us up, standing on their crates like rambunctious boys. The white goat looks like Burl Ives.

No comments: