Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Week 8 Update

Sorry for the long delay in posting any updates. Last week I returned to work and, needless to say, it was a busy news week.

Katherine has been settling into a semblance of a sleeping pattern and has even slept for 5 or 6 hours at a time. Some mornings she has slept as late as 10am. I think she learned that from Rusty.

Speaking of Rusty, one night last week I woke up in the middle of the night, looked next to me and saw not Nancy but Rusty's head. He was laying in her spot with his goofy head on her pillow smiling at me. There was no sign of Nancy. Strangely enough, I didn't think anything of it and went back to sleep. It turns out that Nancy got up to feed Katherine and Rusty took advantage of the opportunity to take her warm spot in the bed. We're not sure if he realizes that he isn't a person or that Katherine isn't a puppy.

Katherine has been smiling and laughing a lot lately. It's so cute. She absolutely loves the mobile above her crib. It only lasts for about 60 seconds so it seems like we're constantly winding it. I shot some video of her smiling and laughing at the mobile and I'll put it online shortly.

We finally got a table for our patio and have been using it a lot lately in this beautiful Spring weather. It's nice hanging out there while reading, eating, and enjoying adult beverages.

Katherine got to meet Nancy's friends Tara and Susan on Sunday. She was a little fussy at first but then remembered her manners. She survived the afternoon alone with her Dad by watching plenty of baseball and hockey on tv (and dozing on and off).

We booked a beach house on the Outer Banks for mid-May! We're very excited and can't wait to take Katherine and Rusty on their first beach trip. We're lining up our beach reading selections and I'm already craving pizza fries. Mmmmm!

The weather was so beautiful on Saturday that I went rollerblading around the Mall and monuments in DC. I haven't done that in at least a year, maybe two. It had definitely been a while because my first thought was "Did I really used to do this? It seems awfully dangerous to skate on the road." But before long it felt more natural. I didn't race any cars like I used to but I also didn't wipe out. Self-preservation seems like a good idea.

I did have one rather annoying incident during my skate that I need to rant about. When I was passing the south lawn of the White House, the Presidential motorcade was out front and waiting for the President to drive him to the White House Correspondents' Dinner, 5 blocks away. It was an exciting, uniquely DC moment and I decided to hang out and watch. There was a crowd of about 100-150 tourists watching excitedly too. We were so far away (about 300-400 yards) that we could not even begin to distinguish the faces of the tiny little figures we could see scurrying around. After waiting for about 15 minutes, the police came by and suddenly announced that the sidewalk was temporarily closed and everyone needed to leave. People were in disbelief, including me. What danger did we pose from so far away? I could understand posting a cop near us to make sure someone doesn't suddenly whip out a sniper's rifle. But completely closing the sidewalk seemed excessively paranoid and bizarre. So instead of 150 people feeling like they were a part of something, they walked off grumbling and disappointed. And it seemed so unnecessary.

Ok, the rant is over. Sorry about that.

Nancy went running today for the first time since Katherine was born! Very impressive. She's only 1 run behind my total for the year. Today was hot and muggy but she managed to make it back in one piece.

No comments: