Monday, December 2, 2013

October 2013

October was chock-full of fun activities.  Peter and Katie were both playing soccer (not together).  Katie really enjoyed it.  Peter's enthusiasm was mixed.  Some days he wanted to stay next to Nancy the whole time.  Other days he wanted to play.  October is also the time for Del Ray's awesome Art on the Ave festival.  About a mile of the downtown is closed to car traffic and hundreds of artists, vendors, bands, and restaurants converge.  Every year it's one of our favorite events in Del Ray.  It typically attracts over 50,000 visitors.

Then we packed up the car and spent a weekend in Scranton with Nancy's sister Sara and her family.  I "ran" the Steamtown Marathon (I puttered out around mile 19).  Cousin Mark ran it too and I thought I had a chance to beat him since it was his first marathon and he reportedly hadn't trained much.  But I forgot that youth is more forgiving and he trounced me.  Oh well.  Sara and her family and Nancy, Peter, and Katie all came out to cheer us on from different spots along the way.  At mile 22 I texted Nancy to come get me but eventually decided to tough it out and slowly dragged myself to the finish line to finish my 6th marathon.  I'm slowly catching up to Nancy's 10 but I don't think she has to worry.  I don't think I have 4 more marathons in me.

After Scranton we stopped at the excellent Crayola museum in Easton, PA (sort of near Philly).  They had lots of hands-on art stuff which Katie loved.  We got to see how crayons are made and even got to create our own crayons and markers.

When we returned home, it was time to get ready for Halloween.  We also went ice skating and Katie did a great job skating without any help for the entire time (usually she wants to hold our hand for a while).  It was very impressive.  Peter skated for the first time and we may need to sign him up for a skating lesson soon before he yanks my shoulder out of socket.  I forgot how much strain they can put on your shoulders while you're holding them up.

Coming up next....  Halloween!

Photos are below.  Click here to see a  lot more.

Untitled
Peter with a friend at soccer practice

Untitled
Peter goes one-on-one with the coach

Untitled
Ice cream at Ikea

Untitled
Story time with Katie

Untitled
Painting pumpkins at Del Ray's Art on the Ave

Untitled
Enjoying a band and some barbecue in Del Ray

Untitled
Katie got to help paint a mural in Del Ray

Untitled

Untitled
A petting zoo at Art on the Ave

Untitled
"I can't believe how big this cheeseburger is."

Untitled
Waiting for Mommy to come home

Untitled
Got tired of waiting.

Untitled
Bedtime stories with Katie

Untitled
Katie reads to a dog (and Peter) at our local library.

Untitled
A bench in memory of Grandma Butler in Naugatuck.

Untitled
In Scranton

Untitled
Fun with cousin Matthew

Untitled
Waiting for Daddy and cousin Mark to pass by mile 17 at the Steamtown Marathon in Scranton, PA.

Untitled
There's cousin Mark in the green shirt!

Untitled
...And then a loooong wait for Daddy.

Untitled
There's Daddy! (finally!)

Untitled
There's Daddy again at mile 23.

Untitled
The finish line at last.  The hills killed me, even though most of them were downhill.  I also wasn't quite as prepared for it as I thought.  Mark, running his first marathon and training lightly, beat me by 90 minutes.  Ah, youth.

Untitled
It's always nice to get a warm reception after a rough day.

Untitled
The medal winners.

Untitled
I made the front page of the Scranton newspaper!  I'm in yellow underneath the "n" in Joslyn.  Luckily it was taken at the start.  The older man to my right in blue?  He's 81 years old and I beat him by 5 minutes!  Take that and shove it old man!  In your face!

Untitled
The Crayola Museum in Easton, PA.

Untitled
Katie creates drip art by letting melted crayons drip from a stick.  It was one of several neat hands-on artsy things at the museum.

Untitled
Katie made her own crayon.  Princess Purple.

Untitled
Peter is a little less creative in the naming department.

Untitled
Working with clay at the Crayola museum.  They also go to make their own markers, watch how crayons are made, and create a coloring book page of themselves.

Untitled
It's easy to keep track of the large size crayons but hard to color with.

Untitled
The cute town square of Easton, PA.  The water in the fountain was pink for breast cancer awareness.

Untitled
Peter goes down a big slide at a pumpkin patch.

Untitled
Katie's pre-school class reunion at the playground before it's torn down and rebuilt.

Untitled
Peter and Katie at the playground

Untitled
Picking out pumpkins

Untitled
It's important to wear proper headgear when picking out a pumpkin.

Untitled
Found some!

Untitled

Untitled
Peter looks like he's plotting something

Untitled

Untitled
Santa was at the pumpkin patch for some reason.

Untitled
Katie pleads her case to be on the Nice List.

Untitled
I don't think she has to worry.  Peter on the other hand...

Untitled
Peter and Theo playing soccer at the farm

Untitled
Peter decides he wants to wear last year's tiger costume to soccer practice

Untitled
It seemed like a good idea at the time

Untitled
Ice skating with Daddy

Untitled
Whee!

Untitled
Katie skated all by herself the entire time, for the first time.

Untitled
Peter watches a pee-wee hockey practice




No comments: